I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I looooooooooooooooove bananas and anything banana flavored or related. I made this about a week ago and just haven’t posted it. I had been waiting for enough bananas to ripe to make this after I got the idea from an episode of Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives. This is one of my favorite shows to watch because so many people are doing really creative things with food and it always gives me the inspiration to figure out how to take these ideas and make them dairy-free and meatless. Long story short here, banana bread is always awesome to make but what makes it better? Turn it into french toast. Banana bread french toast is awesome and if you’re like my wife and I, you make it on a Sunday night to eat as a snack rather than wait for breakfast. So here you go, Banana Bread French Toast:
- ¼ c plain, unsweetened vegan milk
- ½ tsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ c vegan butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 3 very ripe medium bananas, mashed
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 c flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line a 9″ loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, stir together vegan milk and vinegar. Set aside for a few minutes.
- In a large bowl, cream together vegan butter and sugar.
- Add bananas, vanilla, and milk mixture and beat.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flours, powder and soda, nutmeg, and salt.
- Add dry mixture to wet and beat just until all of the flour is moistened.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near the center of the loaf comes out mostly clean.
- Cool 5-10 minutes in loaf pan, then lift loaf out onto a wire rack and cool fully.
Once bread is cool, slice and prepare for French Toast
- 1 1/4 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 Tbs flaxseed
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Coat each side of your bread slices and place on a heated griddle. Toast until golden brown on each side.
Diagonally slice 2 bananas. Heat a frying pan with 2 Tbs vegan butter. Saute bananas for a few minutes. Add 1 Tbs brown sugar and toss. Saute together until bananas are caramelized. (only takes a few minutes) Place on top of your French Toast. Sprinkle with a little powdered sugar.